Packed Clovers

August.18.2007

Bookarts,Craft. 12:19.am

This is a single, packed sewing on cords technique that I tried from Keith Smith’s exposed spines book. Because they are just loose cords, the covers are only held in place with tight sewing and unseen grooves in the boards.

Despite the covers, this book is sturdy and durable. Even the expected gap between signatures seems less of an issue against the thick cords. I think the fact I used thick leather (which you can’t see because I patiently wound it with red cord) makes the book stiffer.

The pages are a heavy watercolor paper that puts up with anything I do to it. The cover paper, however, does not. It hates water, and the worn edges take on an unnaturally smooth shine.

This cover decal was a pain too, just because of the red beads. I had originally sewn them on with fishing line, which unsurprisingly snapped within a couple months. I recently rewound them as best I could with good embroidery cord. Still quite loose and jangly, so we’ll see if it holds.

This is almost two years ago when I actually made the book. (yes it’s taken me that long to take pictures of the book and not the art!) It’s at the bottom of the stack of 1970’s encyclopedias, getting the final pressing with the front cover all decked out. The purple thing sticking out is a tiny pamphlet book I whipped up, and at the top helping weigh down is my pencil bookmarking a page in Smith and another just finished book (That I will post about soon!) On the floor somewheres I was just starting the anatomy book, so in total I would be going into my junior year at ringling with three sketchbooks. I’ve only half filled them!

0 comments

no comments

RSS feed for comments. TrackBack URL.

leave a comment

Twitter Users!
Enter your personal information in the form or sign in with your Twitter account by clicking the button below.

Twitter Users!
Enter your personal information in the form or sign in with your Twitter account by clicking the button below.